Laureen Ann Rahn

Left: Laureen circa, 1980

Right: Age Progressed to age 46

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: April 26, 1980

Missing From: Manchester, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire

Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Date Of Birth: April 3, 1966

Age: 14 years old

Height and Weight: 5’4″ and 90 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian Female, Brown hair, Blue eyes, Laureen has a prominent scar located on her upper leg which was caused by a fall on broken glass

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A white V-neck sweater, a blue plaid blouse, a pair of jeans and brown shoes, Laureen was last known to be wearing a heart shaped gold ring and a silver or blue colored necklace

NCMEC Number: 601873

Details of Disappearance

Laureen Ann Rahn was last seen in the evening hours of April 27th 1980 in Manchester, New Hampshire. She was accompanied by a male friend and female friend while they drank beer and wine at Laureen’s apartment. Her mother, Judith Rahn, was out of town with her live in boyfriend because he was a professional tennis player and him and Judith went to attend a tournament for such. Laureen normally accompanied her mother and her boyfriend to things like this but she asked to stay home and her mother agreed. It was spring break for Laureens school at the time.

The male friend stated that he heard voices in the hallway of Laureens apartment and he naturally assumed that Judith was home so he left out the back door to avoid trouble. He stated he heard Laureen lock the back door behind him after he left. Judith returned home at midnight and noticed that the lightbulbs in hallways on all three floors of the apartment building had been unscrewed and everything was dark. Her apartments front door was unlocked. She checked Laureen’s bedroom and noticed that someone was in Laureens bed and assumed it to be her daughter.

In the morning, Judith discovered that it was actually Laureen’s female friend sleeping in her bed. Laureen was missing and the back door to the apartment was open. Her new cloths and sneakers were still in the living room. Her friend stated she last saw Laureen sleeping on the couch.

Authorities initially believed that Laureen had runaway from home but Judith did not believe this because she left behind all of her cloths and her purse. After a few weeks had passed, authorities began to push aside the possibility she had runaway and started to believe that Laureen did in fact leave the apartment willingly but meant to return within a short period of time afterwards. Judith discovered that she was charged for three phone calls from California on October 1st 1980. Judith was baffled by this because she had no friends or relatives living in California and Laureen had ember been there and had no ties to the area itself.

Two of the phone calls were placed from motel in Santa Monica to another motel in Santa Ana. The third phone call was made to a teen sexual assistance hotline. The physician whom maintained the hotline initially denied knowing anything about the call or even Laureen. In 1985, however, he gave a complete different story. He stated that numerous runaway girls who had runaway from home would visit his wife at their home. One of the young women who visited may have been from New Hampshire.

A woman known as “Anne Sprinkle” was brought to authorities attention by the physician because he claimed that this woman worked with his wife in the fashion industry and she may have information regarding several runaway girls who visited his wife. Sprinkle was involved in the pornography industry and authorities scanned several of her films in an affront to locate Rahn. There is no evidence that Sprinkle was involved in Laureen’s disappearance.

An investigator went to California in 1986 to investigate the October 1980 phone calls of Judith’s behalf. He managed to locate the two hotels where the calls had been made. It’s possible one the establishments was linked to pornography. The place was said to be used by child pornography known as “Dr. Z” but investigators have been unable to link Dr. Z to Rahn’s case and it’s unknown is her case is even linked to pornography.

There have been various sightings and phone calls of and from Laureen in the years after her disappearance. A family member of Laureen reported that they saw a girl matching her description at a bus terminal in Boston, Massachusetts. This sighting took place about a year after she disappeared. Also during that time, Judith would receive strange phone calls. They would always happen at 3:45 am and the person on the other line would remain silent until terminating the call.

She continued to receive these phone calls around the Christmas holidays for several years from an unknown person. She said that Laureen’s sister would answer the call and the person on the other side would silently listen before terminating the call. The calls only stopped when Judith changed her phone number.

In 1986, one of Laureen’s childhood friends, Roger Maurais, said he received a phone call from a woman identifying herself as “Laureen” or “Laurie”. His mother actually answered the call and the woman claimed she was Roger’s former girlfriend. The call ended and whomever made it has not been identified. Investigators are unsure if it was the missing girl.

A witness stated based on the photograph of Laureen that was distributed after she disappeared, he had actually seen her in Anchorage, Alaska in 1988. At the time she was a prostitute. He said the woman resembled Laureen but based on the nature of the sighting, authorities do not believe that this woman was in fact Laureen.

There have been no reported sightings of Laureen since 1988 and authorities have expressed the belief that Rahn is likely no longer alive. Her mother believes that Laureen is still alive and that her friends and acquaintances may have information about Laureen’s disappearance. The boy that Laureen was drinking with that night committed suicide in 1985.

Judith who has since moved away from New Hampshire and remarried believes that Laureen places those phone calls from California in 1980.

Coincidentally, a young woman named Denise Daneault disappeared approximately 6 weeks after Laureen did. She lived two blocks away from Laureen. Denise is believed to be the victim of serial killer, Terry Rasmussen. Her disappearance has not been linked to Rahn’s and Rasmussen has not been named as a suspect in Laureen’s disappearance.

At the time of her disappearance, Laureen loved singing and has dreams of becoming an actress. Her disappearance remains unsolved and foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agency

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Manchester Police Department 603-668-8711

Source Information

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

The Charley Project

The Doe Network